…Chili recipe with the grill cheese follows below. Take some notes. Make it your own. Wear your tightest apron. Don’t spill any of the chipotle sauce in sensitive places. Place a rose between your teeth.
We opted for a low-key Christmas this year which basically means very little cooking, cleaning, technical support, etc. Tracey’s chili was at the top of the list. No brainer! Comfort. TLC. Spicey. Adventuresome. And made wearing size 2 jeans. What’s better? Paula Deen’s crab cakes? I think not!
- Sirloin – 1.5-2 pounds-cubed into small pieces
- 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes – Muir Glen
- 2 cans dark red kidney beans, drained – any variety of organic beans
- Small amount of tomato paste 1/4-1/2 can-depending of what level of thickness you like – Muir Glen organic
- Onion – 1/2 -3/4 cup
- Green or red pepper – 1/2-3/4 cup
- Chipotles in adobo sauce – Tracey uses only the sauce, no chipotles (use depending on how hot you want it but use with caution)
- Cumin – 1/8 cup or to taste
- Chili powder-1/8 cup or to taste
- Salt – coarse kosher to taste
Tracey sears the sirloin in a large dutch oven. She then adds the beans, tomatoes, chipotle sauce, cumin, and chili powder. I’m thinkin’ one eigth of a cup is a lot so keep an eye out and taste as you go. Simmer for about an hour before adding the onions and peppers and salt. Simmer about another 30 minutes.
The Grill Cheese Sandwiches:
- Traders Joe’s Asiago and Peppercorn Bread
- Trader Joe’s Extra Sharp Vermont Cheddar Cheese slices
- Organic, unsalted butter-softened (it has to be really softened to room temperature; not the microwave.
Match the bread with like sized pieces and lightly cover the entire surface with butter (this ensures a nice golden color on the entire piece of bread). Heat a griddle to about 250-275 and keep it low! Slather with enough butter to coat but not soak. Place the bottom pieces on the griddle, butter side down. Cover the entire surface of bread with cheese pieces and put top on; butter side up. Let sit until the bottom starts to get crusty and golden – 5-7 mintues. Flip and repeat, making sure the griddle doesn’t cook them too quickly. When the top side is golden brown, flip one more time to reheat the other side; about 1-2 minutes. Make sure cheese is thoroughly melted. Remove and cut in half.
Try to duplicate you may. Come to LAN some day to get the real deal. Buenos Noches!