The end of summer?! Yea, why not? At nearly 41 years of age I just want to keep summer rollin’ (or maybe turn back the clock – one of those).
I was asked recently why I went to concerts. My answer: “because when I was younger I was too broke to go to shows.” I’m still broke because I go to all these damn concerts. But we drink good brew and half way remember good performances. We don’t remember the work week. And that’s what this mix is all about.
Like the previous two summer mixes it’s made to be shuffled and placed on cruise control while you enjoy your favorite beverage, or two, or infinity. Smoke or sear a dead carcass. Love the one your with or you can lick a stained glass window. Just press “play”.
The Tunes (Live) in bullets:
- Hot in Here, Widespread Panic from Jackassolantern
- Cortez the Killer, Dave Matthews Band w/ Warren Haynes from The Central Park Concert
- Almost Cut My Hair, Gov’t Mule w/ Rob Barraco, Dave Schools, & Robert Randolph from Warren Haynes Presents: The Benefit Concert
- Coconut, Widespread Panic from Valdosta 1989
- Stop the Bus, Grace Potter & the Nocturnals from Live at the Fillmore San Francisco
- Don’t Gotta Work It Out, Fitz & the Tantrums from fitzandthetantrums.com
- #41, Dave Matthews Band featuring Bela Fleck and Jeff Coffin from Live Trax Vol. 1: Worcester, MA 12/8/1998
- Cold Beverage, G. Love & Special Sauce from Live at Austin City Limits Music Festival 2008
- Medicine, Grace Potter & the Nocturnals from Live at the Fillmore San Francisco
- Jimi Thing (Sexy Mother F*&^% Rendition), Dave Matthews Band from Live at Wrigley Field
- I Can’t Quit You Baby, Gov’t Mule featuring Little Milton from Mulennium
- Hotel Illness, the Black Crowes from Richmond, VA 11/16/2010
- Straight to Hell, Drivin’ n’ Cryin’ w/ Audrey Freed & Edwin McCain from Warren Haynes Presents: The Benefit Concert
- Holla, G. Love & Special Sauce from Live at Austin City Limits Music Festival 2008
- All Along the Watchtower, Dave Matthews Band featuring Carlos Santana from Live Trax Vol. 2: Golden Gate Park San Francisco 9/12/2004
- Thorn In My Pride, the Black Crowes from Richmond, VA 11/16/2010
Yes, that is Nelly’s tune “Hot in Here” being covered by the finest from Athens, Georgia known as Widespread Panic. Panic is celebrating their 25th year. We’re seeing all three nights here in Richmond next week.
Both Black Crowes tunes are live recordings from their show here in Richmond in November 2010. You may be aware that was their last tour before the hiatus/retirement/we may never see them again. Luther Dickinson plays lead guitar here, just as he has for the last few years.
We haven’t seen G. Love live yet but have tickets to the show here in Richmond in a few weeks. We couldn’t leave these tunes out. Nor could we leave out Grace Potter and Fitz & the Tantrums. We caught both of those acts at the DMB Caravan in Atlantic City in June.
Sorry, no live Warren Haynes Band. I guess it’s too soon since the most recent CD release. There is plenty Warren Haynes however with DMB on Cortez the Killer from the Central Park disc as well as the Gov’t Mule tracks.
Speaking of DMB, the tracks here are from various Live Trax CDs offered online. #41 from Vol. 1 has be my all time favorite recording of that tune. All Along the Watchtower featuring Carlos Santana is ultra hot too. The hip shakin’ version of Jimi Thing is just as special.
You can check out the nearly complete playlist on Ping.