- 1 7lb picnic on a 12 hr rub, smoked to perfection, and pulled into delectable morsels. (TLC = get up at dawn to get the grill and hickory fired up)
- No doubt we have to serve some collards, cooked with a vidalia onion that only south Georgia can serve up.
- I went a little Yankee with a salad – spinach, more of that juicy vidalia, and a ripe on the vine (California) tomato. I added some fine olive oil to the party. (I wanted desperately to make baked beans but forgot to soak them overnight – not worth it unless you do it right.)
- Buttermilk corn bread, like only my grandmother could make.
- Cocktail: I kicked it up somewhat with 3 parts Woodford Reserve, 1 part honey syrup (made with local right off the Shenandoah Valley farm honey), 1 part lemon juice. Garnish with a slice of fresh lemon.
- Music. You shouldn’t have to guess. My summer mix of course with expansion pack in tow featuring The Allman Brothers At Fillmore East, Blue Dogs For the Record, and the North Mississippi Allstars Hill Country Revue.
Yep, this is livin!
On tap for Memorial Day I have a 9lb Boston butt in the fridge. I’ll add some Widespread Panic and Screamin’ Cheetah Wheelies to the play list. Maybe a gin cocktail should be in order to add some sophistication to the selection?